Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Instead of writing I should be packing


This was a sunset here in San Cristóbal the other night. I'm finally heading to the mountains but not the ones in the picture. The picture is looking to the west and I am actually going east. Tomorrow (May 30) I leaveve on an observation and documentation mission for the Human Rights Center Fray Bartolomé de Las Casas. another guy and I were "ok'd" to enter into Zapatista territory in order to work with a community. So, in the morning we'll leave San Cristóbal and head north and east to Ocosingo. From there we'll travel a little farther east to Toniná. The community that we will be working in is called Nuevo San Pedro and from what I understand it is not on any map, the closest village is Pamalá (I think). The people of Nuevo San Pedro and surroundign areas speak Tzeltal, so the little Tzotzil i picked up the other day might not help much. With a backpack full of food and a hammock (and a sleeping bag - it is quite cold here at night, especially farther up into the mountains) and a letter form the Human Rights Center Franz and I will be in Nuevo San Pedro for about 2 weeks. No electricity, no phone, no computer, etc. From what I understand the "road" from San Cristóbal to Ocosingo is about 90 Km but still takes about 2 hours, which tells you a little bit about the terrain and infrastructure. From there the "roads" aren't much better, if there even is one and should take us at least another hour to travel another 30km or so.

The community of Nuevo San Pedro is part of the Junta de Buen Gobierno (JBG) "El Camino del Futuro", which in turn pertains the the Carcoal "La Garrucha". La Garrucha will be our first stop to present ourselves and our letter at the Zapatista headquarters. Here is a link to an article that describes the "Good Governemtn Juntas" it's not the best but was one of the only sites in English I could find on short notice! http://www.zmag.org/Sustainers/Content/2003-09/12podur.cfm
I am not sure if it is been translated into English or not but another resource that deals with the Caracoles and JBGs is the 6th Declaration from the Lancandon Jungle, here is the link in six parts. http://www.zeztainternazional.org/esp/ezln-mundo/declaraciones-de-la-selva-lacandona/sexta.html

I will have much more to talk about when I return and hopefully will have a better understanding of the new social order being developed by the Zapatistas. We'll talk again in about two weeks. Until then, les mando un fuerte abrazo desde las montañas del sureste de México (I send you all a big hug from the Southeastern mountains of Mexico). JT

P.S. While I was writing this entry I was listening to the song "El Carretero" from the Buena Vista Social Club album. If you get a chance to listen to it, it is fantastic! The lyrics really made me think about my trip tomorrow. Even though we don't plan on going up to the moutains on a horse, "A caballo vamo' pa'l monte, a cabllo vamo' pa'l monte"...you never know.

2 comments:

Suzi said...

Joseph,
Grandma T. and I read your latest posts last night. We listened to the song you mentioned El Carretero on Rhapsody just for fun. We laughed at our inability to understand the lyrics, but enjoyed the music. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
Love ya.

ptowle said...

Hello Joe
I have been folowing your blog from my work computer. I get the feeling your job is way more exciting than mine. I love the mountains of Montana, but I hope to see the lush jungle mounatians some day. Stay safe and keep the updates coming.
Love, Uncle Pat