Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tomorrow it begins...

This entry has a different feeling from the last. The last time I wrote I was in the Business Center at the posh Hotel Fiesta Americana in Puebla and then left for Mexico City where my friend and his family were giving me the five star treatment. I'm writing now from San Cristobal de las Casas (south-east Mexico) and I defnitley feel a change in attitude. I'm sure the weather, atmosphere and beauty of this place has something to do with it, but also it is nice not to breathe poison, meaning it's nice to be out of Mexico City. The whole feeling is different and I very much welcome it - maybe Mignolo is on to something when he says that existing precedes thinking, "I think where I am", not the opposite as Descartes wanted us to believe (right, Kelly). I like the way of life and "thinking" much more here in San Cristóbal. Also, I can think better here since my head isn't clouded with pollution, literally.
I start with a BriCO oreintation session tomorrow morning a the Human Rights Center Fray Bartolomé. I am really looking foward to it. I have been on a mad hunt for an apartment and haven't been able to find anything yet. I got some more leads today, however, I couldn't find anyone because it's Sunday and I am in Mexico. I have no idea what to expect tomorrow at the Center, which is both exciting but making me anxious too. I am hoping I'll have some time to find an apartment tomorrow afternoon. Like another famous writer from this area, I close by saying, "From the mountains of south-east Mexico", JT.

4 comments:

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jake said...

Joe,
Good luck at the Center today, I hope you dig your mission. Soak up that different way of thinking, I'm looking forward to hearing about it this fall. Summer classes start today Wooo!

Peace,
Jake

JESSICA said...

Dear brother,
I hope your first day went well. I think of you often and I am envious of your travels. I think I will take a trip to Mexico this summer . . .
Love you!
Jessica

Suzi said...

Joseph,
I am so proud of you. Know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers daily. I will look forward to your future posts. Love ya,Suzi